Friday 23 September 2011

Standedge Tunnel

Wow, who would have thought that finding events taking place in Huddersfield could be so hard? I spent quite a bit of time trying to find things that may be of interest but only managed to find two. There are plenty of things happening for specific groups like mother and toddler, baby fayres, wedding fayres and book signings, but not a lot of events that would be of general interest. I'm either not looking hard enough, or there's nothing planned for Huddersfield in the near future. I'll keep looking though and add more events if and when I find them.

I added a few more pictures to the 'Huddersfield' tab and I've included a little bit of information about them for anyone who may be interested. All the pictures shown are fairly modern but as I was adding them to the page another thought came to my head; I might try and dig out some of my old photos and add a 'Memories' tab. That's not going to be any time soon though. First of all I'm going to have to try and remember where I've put the pictures then I'll have to scan them all and put them on to the computer. It may take a while so don't hold your breath.

Standedge Tunnel at Marsden, Huddersfield.
A couple of friends and I had a trip to Standedge Tunnel the other day, the highest, longest and deepest canal tunnel in Britain. It reopened in 2001 after a 20 year restoration programme and stretches for 3.25 miles (5,029 metres) through hard millstone grit.

The canal is 636 feet (194 metres) underground at the deepest point and 643 feet (196 metres) above sea level.

The visitor centre offers a 30 minute tunnel trip in a  glass-topped boat but, personally, I can't see the point in that. Apart from being able to say, "I've been  in the highest, longest and deepest tunnel in Britain", there is nothing else to it. There is a tour guide on the boat telling you all the technical details but the tunnel is in complete darkness so what are you going to see? There were plenty of people taking the trip but I decided to give it a miss. I sat on the canal bank enjoying a nice refreshing drink.

We have a few different outings in mind for the next few weeks, all local attractions, so I'll mention them as and when I can. It could be interesting. Apart from my time in the navy I've lived in Huddersfield all my life and now I find myself visiting local places that I've not heard of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment