Thursday 29 September 2011

Worst Place To Live

Why is it that on some mornings we can wake up feeling on top of the world while on other mornings, like today, we can wake up feeling really depressed. I used to think that there had to be some sort of event in your life to make you feel this way but I think that needs to be re-thought. Nothing has happened. Today is just the same as yesterday. Yet I woke up this morning feeling as though today is the last day on earth. A totally weird feeling.

Then I read an item on one of the news web sites that a 'think tank' has carried out a survey and drawn the conclusions that the UK is the worst place to live in Europe. They say that one in ten people are "seriously considering" emigrating. I know that if I were younger and I had more money, I'd be gone faster than you could say 'emigrate'. I'd love to move to Malta and settle down there, something I should have done a long time ago when I had the chance.

Amongst other things, this survey says that we are getting a "raw deal" on quality of life and high cost of living. It also tells us that food prices in the UK are the highest in Europe. I could have told them that. After serving in the navy for almost thirty years, I came back into 'civvy street' hoping to start a new life. It's certainly not been through lack of trying but so far I have been unable to start that new life. I've moved around and lived in different places in the country looking for employment but without any luck. Three years ago the government froze ex forces pensions and during that three years the cost of living has rocketed. I'm proud to say that I have always managed to pay my bills but nowadays that leaves me with just £9.16 a week to live on. Three years ago I didn't have any debt but I have had to use plastic for day to day living and have now got a credit card debt running into thousands of pounds. And the worst thing is, because the navy pension is just above the 'legal amount' the government says we need to live on, ex servicemen don't qualify for any benefits. Who needs a 'think tank' to tell us we're living in the worst place in Europe?

Oh dear. Reading back on this post tells me that someone really did get out of bed on the wrong side this morning. I think I should go back to bed and try again. Go back and wake up to nice sunshine and feeling on top of the world. Turn the clock back and wake up as though you haven't got a care in the world. Now wouldn't that be nice?

And talking of 'turning the clock back', well, that's a whole new story to save for another day......

No comments:

Post a Comment